Schools' Outreach from the Geffrye
From January 2018 the Geffrye will be offering outreach (in-school) sessions based on our handling collection while the museum is closed as part of a major two year, transformational re-development project.
Our handling collection contains objects found in the home over the last 400 years and can be used to support classroom based learning across the curriculum at all key stages.
During the handling sessions pupils will:
- Handle real and replica objects from the past / Explore what home life was like in the past
- Develop practical historical enquiry skills / Develop speaking and listening skills
Choose from a one-off session for your own class or whole-school immersive experience with the Museum in Residence model.
Download a copy of Museum in Residence and one-off sessions for more details.
Seasonal Christmas sessions
This November and December we are pleased to offer themed Christmas handling sessions. Investigate how the way people celebrate Christmas has changed over the past 400 years by exploring objects from our handling collection. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our outreach offer
1. Museum in Residence:
The Geffrye Museum will set up ‘home’ in your school over a number of days allowing every pupil to visit the Museum in Residence in their own school. We can deliver whole-school topics or differentiate themes for different year groups.
Choose relevant time periods or themes from below for each class taking part.
- Tudor & Stuart
- Victorian & Edwardian
- Mid-Century (1930s - 1960s)
- Modern (1960s - 1990s)
Themes through time
- Eating and Drinking
- Heating and Lighting
- Communication and Technology
- Pattern and Design
- Cleaning and Housework
For schools in the London Boroughs of Hackney, Tower Hamlets and Islington:
Museum in Residence
- 2 day residency in your school (single form entry) £400
- 3 day residency in your school (two form entry) £500
- Other boroughs - price on request
2. One-off sessions:
Select up to 5 of the object sets from the table below to create your tailor-made object handling session. We will aim to bring as many of these objects into your school as part of your facilitated outreach session.
Object Handling sets
- 1 session: £120
- 2 sessions repeated on the same day: £160
- 3 sessions repeated on the same day: £200
- For other London schools up to and including Zone 4 an additional travel charge of £30 will apply
- Sessions times vary according to year group and can usually be scheduled around your school timetable
- Access to the school is required 30 mins before the start time to set-up
- Each session is for one class (30 max pupils)
- All sessions are delivered by our highly experienced museum facilitators, all of whom hold a current DBS check, available on request.
How to book
To book a session please contact the Bookings Officer: email@example.com or 020 7739 9893. Please have the following details to hand:
- School name and contact details
- Number of classes / pupils
- Year group (s)
- Your topic of study
- Your top 4 – 5 handling object sets
- A range of possible visit dates
- Any additional needs of the group
What will happen when the museum re-opens?
When the museum re-opens in Spring 2020 we will resume offering a range on hands-on and creative learning sessions here at the museum. During the closure period we will be developing and piloting new curriculum linked sessions as well as refreshing and bringing back some of the popular sessions from before closure.
Pre- and post-visit activities to support previous core sessions are also available to download here
For a full list of our terms and conditions including payment for outreach sessions and our cancellation policy please click here.