The Geffrye Museum in autumn - photography Jayne Lloyd
The Geffrye is located in Shoreditch just minutes from the City of London. It is easily reached by public transport. The nearest stations are Hoxton and Old Street.
Admission to the museum including the eleven period rooms and herb and period gardens is free. Our Period Rooms Highlights Tour audio guide is available from the reception desk for £3, with a free version for blind and partially-sighted visitors.
Museum and gardens:
The museums's eleven period rooms and special exhibitions are open at the following times:
- Tuesday - Sunday 10am - 5pm
- Bank Holiday Mondays 10am - 5pm
- Closed Mondays (unless Bank Holiday), Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day
- The period gardens are open from April to October. The front gardens are open all year round.
- The café is open until 4.45pm
- The shop is open during museum hours
The 1780s almshouse room photographed by Jayne Lloyd
The restored almshouse has been taken back to its original condition, offering a rare glimpse into the lives of London's poor and elderly in former times. Tours are conducted by museum volunteers and take place at specific times each month. It is located in the south wing of the museum buildings and has its own entrance. If you are planning to visit as part of a group please see the information below.
Visitors will have a chance to visit the restored almshouse on the following days:
- Saturdays: 6 September, **20 September, 4 October, 1 November and 6 December 2014
- Tuesdays: 14 and 28 October, 11 and 25 November and 9 December 2014
- Wednesdays: 3 and 17 September, 1 and 15 October, 5 and 19 November and 3 and 17 December 2014 (see Wednesday details below)
Timed entries are at 11am, 12pm, 2pm and 3pm, with additional 4pm tours from April - October.
Tickets to enter the Restored Almshouse (please note that general museum admission is free):
Adults £3, Friends of the Geffrye, disabled visitors (and their companion) and children under 16 free. Numbers are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that only groups of 8 or more can book in advance.
Please note last entry is 4pm. Places are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Open House London - Free Almshouse Tours**
- Saturday 20 September, 10.30am - 12.30pm and from 2 - 4pm
Group visits to the Almshouse
The 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month we welcome advance booking by groups of 8 or more, therefore not all of these tours may be open to the public. There are 16 places for this tour and these will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis 10 minutes before the tour begins. We suggest those wishing to visit the restored almshouse on a Wednesday contact the Information and Bookings Officer on 020 7739 9893 to check availability.
Visitors may take photographs without a tripod for personal use. Commercial photography must be approved in advance.